Sunday, 23 November 2008

Jessica's Story

In 2004, Jessica Palmer tragically died of Puerperal fever (Childbed Fever). This overwhelming infection is caused by Streptococcus A bacteria and used to be a contributing factor in deaths of women after they had given birth. This infection was previoulsy found to be linked to poor hand hygiene and was rife in the beginning part of the last century and at the end of the previous century.

It seems so unnecessary in this day and age of technology and advanced knowledge that a young woman with 2 small children can die so tragically just because the signs and symptoms of this infection were never acted upon until it was too late. Consequently, many midwifery units have now developed an Early Warning Score form for midwives and doctors to fill in and act upon.
These forms will go a long way in preventing such a tragedy occurring again.

Jessica, died from multi-organ failure 6 days after giving birth normally. The details of this can be read on the web site set up in memory of her. Please take a moment to visit this and complete the questionairre by following the link http://www.jessicastrust.org.uk/awareness-survey/

3 comments:

Cali said...

So sad!!! :(

Eduardo said...

Hello my name is Eduardo! I'm a puggle who loves to snuggle, my Mommy enjoys reading your blog so I wanted to know if I can add you to my snuggle buddies list? That is a very sad story.
Hugs & Snugs
Eduardo the Snuggle Puggle

meme said...

Thats a real sad story, my thoguhts go to her family